Friday, May 1, 2009

Moving along

Today I had my first benefit event at Bikram Yoga East Harlem Studio.
They offer pay-what-you-can one class every week, Fridays 4 4:30 and the proceeds go to various charities.
They most generously decided to give me the ENTIRE may (5 classes) to raise the funds for Give to Grow.
I was beyond touched.
Today was the first one of the series.
I made a little gift bag for everyone - the CD with samples of my "world"-ish music, the flyer with the info, the list of other benefit events.
(UPCOMING EVENTS:
1 - DJ benefit party at La Negrita, Hosted by DJ Lightbolt, May 8 11PM, 999 Columbus Ave, New York, NY 10025
2 - Karaoke Night Benefit at Billie’s Black – May 19 7PM – midnight, Billie’s Black, 271 West 119th Street, New York, NY 10026
3 - Benefit dinner at Kafana, May 25 7PM - 116 Avenue C
New York, NY 10009
4 - Bikram Benefit - Take "pay what you can" Bikram Yoga class any Friday in May at 4:30 PM at the Yoga - East Harlem Studio, 4 East 116th Street, 2nd Floor, New York, New York 10029)

There were about 10 people in class, and perhaps I was imagining, but I felt that class was my best ever - I was so uplifted.
It rained out and it was hot in - kind of like what I expect the weather to be like in Ghana in June (the rainy season), the air was dense and my insides were smiling.
After the class, Alma introduced herself to me.
Her family is from Ghana, she says.
They live in Accra.
We had a great little chat and will stay in touch.

I'm taking my Friday night easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment